Giving you the space to shine.
There are roughly a jillion different rock camps and workshops and jam sessions in metro Atlanta in the summertime. Some workshops go nuts with the extras (fancy 8 x 10 photo of your band, light show, etc.). While that can be really exciting, is it really the spirit of rock and roll to have everything planned out for you by grownups?
The idea behind our Rock Academy is that your adult leaders should have a light touch that gives you enough information and assistance to keep you moving forward without hemming you in.
So, we won't choose all the songs for you. We won't tab everything out for you. We'll do our best to match you up with other players of your age and ability level, and we'll help you make it work with whatever instruments and skills you've got (which is how it works in real life).
Along the way, you'll learn to communicate and collaborate as musicians. Everything you've learned in your private lessons will be useful here, but if you're a total beginner we can work with you, too.
In this workshop, you’ll play lots of actual songs with actual people. In the process, you will also learn:
- Timeless rock songs and artists of the sixties, seventies, eighties, and nineties and what made them so influential.
- Prompts, games, and tricks that will help you and your fellow participants get comfortable getting creative together.
- How to adapt your instrument to the sound of the group, finding your own sonic space.
- The three chords that you should try first when you're figuring out a song - plus the four chords that give rock its distinctive gritty sound
- How to figure out what key a song is in.
- Scales, simplified - just what you need in order to get started.
- Communication tricks that will help you all start and end together, or even make changes to the music as it's happening.
- Licks, riffs, and patterns that will sound good right away - and how to create your own.
The workshop (for ages 7-12) will end with a concert for family and friends. You won't want it to end, though!