Not "tunes for teens" - we mean the 2010s. Although there is some overlap.
In the summer of 2011, you couldn't walk into our building without hearing a bunch of children doing their best Adele and belting out "Rolling in the Deep". In 2012, we heard a LOT of Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know." By 2013, "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons ruled our Glee Club workshops. Last year, we were "Happy" along with Pharrell. We also attempted to "Let it Go", but it always came back to us.
What will be the ubiquitous song of the summer of 2015? It's far too soon to tell, but chances are that we'll be playing it, along with other favorites from the past few years, in our Tunes of the Teens workshop. Luckily, lots of modern pop songs are easy to learn, so even beginners will be able to join in.
Here are just a few recent hits that can be learned quickly (just a couple of days for beginners, and some in just a few minutes for more experienced musicians):
- Lorde - "Royals"
- Pharrell Williams - "Happy"
- John Legend - "All of Me"
- A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera - "Say Something"
- Nico & Vinz - "Am I Wrong"
- Maroon 5 - "Maps"
- Echosmith - "Cool Kids"
- Imagine Dragons - "Demons" and "Radioactive"
- Jennifer Lawrence - "The Hanging Tree"
- Passenger - "Let Her Go"
- Avicii - "Wake Me Up"
- OneRepublic - "Counting Stars" and "Love Runs Out"
- Bastille - "Pompeii"
- George Ezra - "Budapest"
- Sam Smith - "Stay With Me"
- Taylor Swift - "Shake it Off", "I Knew You Were Trouble", "You Belong With Me", many others
- Darius Rucker - "Wagon Wheel"
- fun. featuring Janelle Monae - "We Are Young"
- Adele - "Someone Like You"
- Christina Perri - "A Thousand Years" and "Jar of Hearts"
- The Lumineers - "Ho Hey"
- Of Monsters and Men - "Your Bones"
- Foster the People - "Pumped Up Kicks"
- The Band Perry - "If I Die Young"
- Bruno Mars - "Just the Way You Are", "When I Was Your Man"
- The Script - "Breakeven"
Along the way, we'll learn the music theory that makes these chord sequences work. Understanding the theory makes learning new songs even easier.
The workshop (for ages 6-12) will conclude with a performance for family and friends.